Monday, October 8, 2007

Traveling 250 miles alone with a one-year-old

Minnow and I traveled 250 miles to the Twin Cities to visit my sister and family for a long weekend. I had the trip planned out perfectly (in my mind, anyway)--we leave when Minnow is ready for a nap and she sleeps for the majority of the trip. She wakes up, I stop at the next McDonald's, change her, make her a bottle, treat myself to an Iced Coffee (totally addicted), and go the rest of the way with a well-rested, changed, and satisfied baby. WRONG! Part of the trip went as planned. Minnow slept for 2 hours, then woke up crying. We stopped at the nearest McD's, changed her, got her a bottle, got me an iced coffee (YEAH!) and started to drive again--then the screaming began.

What to do?! I had her backpack diaper bag next to me--what was in it? A toothbrush--I handed it back to her--silence for about 20 minutes. The toothbrush is then tossed and the screaming ensued. What else is in the bag? A book--hand it back to her--silence for a few minutes until the book is tossed. More screaming. This "game" continued for the remainder of the trip. I was down to the last item in my "arsenal," an empty water bottle, when the exit for my sister's house appeared. We made it!

We enjoyed 4 days with my sister's family and then prepared for the trip home. It began the same as the trip there with a nap, waking up, McD's (changed diaper, bottle, and iced coffee!), but then the screaming began and didn't stop. My well-prepared arsenal of distractions failed! I was even more prepared this time--more books, her doll, a photo album she likes. No luck, she screamed and screamed for 40 miles! Then, as we pulled into our town. . .silence. She sleeps.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

That sounds about right. Traveling with little ones is so hard especially when you don't have anyone to distract them. Asha was the same way especially if it was dark in the van. Sorry you had such a rough trip.